Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Life is a Zoo

Another busy week for us.  Last Thursday evening we had a Pack Meeting with the boys.  The Wolf den was in charge of things.  Spencer helped out with the flag ceremony.  Then the boys did some fun skits. Spencer earned his Bobcat and two belt loops.  With the new program the boys need to earn 7 belt loops for the Wolf rank.  So he is well on his way to earn that.  Andrew has been enjoying being in the Webelos.  He hasn’t earned a pin yet, but he is working on things.  Sunday afternoon he got out his book and did a few things on his own with me.  There are some things he needs to do at home, so that is nice he is motivated enough to look in his book and find something to do.  Sunday afternoon I also had a nice visit with Ruth with her Personal Progress book.  She is learning about setting goals and increasing her knowledge of the gospel.  This week we set up a LDS account for Ruth so she could log onto Family Tree and start tinkering around in our family tree.  She is excited to learn more about it.  

Last Friday I went into Caleb’s class to help during their “daily 5” time.  The teacher has asked for an extra adult to come in each day if possible.  The week before I talked to her about it and she told me she had a regular volunteer coming in every day. But the Friday person couldn’t come in for a couple of weeks if I wanted to come in on a Friday.  I told her I would.  But when I got there she had forgotten I was coming.  I still was able to help out, I just felt bad that I surprised her with it.  I helped at the work station of writing, helping the kids practice writing letters.  They are a cute bunch of kids.  I also go to the library every Thursday morning and enjoy working there.  I always have loved books, libraries and being around kids.  

Saturday was a busy day.  We got up and going like a normal school day so we could go to the zoo.  We got there before it opened so we could get close parking and meet some friends.  We met up with Thane and Judy.  It was nice to visit with them as we walked through the zoo.  We saw some great animals.  There were also lots of babies!  It was so fun to watch them climbing around and seeing the little versions of the animals that we normally think of.  There was a baby gorilla, giraffe, orangoutang, elephant and chimpanzee.  Some animals they had we hadn’t seem before, like a koala.  It was a nice zoo and we really enjoyed it.  I am glad that it isn’t supper big because it was doable to see, we spent about 4-5 hours there.  



The koala is in the tree behind the boys


Caleb was excited to see seals and named this one "Sammy" I also noticed that only Spencer and Caleb wanted pictures with statutes this zoo trip





At the elephant exhibit they had people talking about elephants, we learned some things.  Also, Neal took over the camera and I ended up in more of the pictures. 


Ruth enjoyed watching the baby chimp





It was a cool throne to sit on, below is a good shot of the baby orangoutang 



After the zoo we ate our lunch at a park. Then we went over to the historical train and railroad open house to see a steam engine they are remodeling.  It was a fun event.  The kids loved seeing the train display. They also liked they were handing out free food and got popcorn and hotdogs.  It was getting hot and I was getting tired, but it was fun to see things.  I enjoyed hearing the live band playing old songs and also seeing all the men wearing overalls.  I remember that my Grandpa Anderson wore that kind of overalls all the time and it reminded me of him.






Saturday evening Ruth and I went to the church to watch the General Women’s session of conference.  We enjoyed the messages given.  I am thankful for wonderful leaders who are inspired in what they teach us.  After the meeting we went to a members home for some refreshments.  It was nice to visit with some of the sisters in our ward.  I feel so new still, I think Ruth knows more people that I do!

Sunday in Primary singing time we were all entertained by Brother Anderson dressed up and pretending to be from Russia.  He was substituting for Brother Lines.  These men are so funny with the kids and do such a great job with singing time.  

I watched the funeral for Elder Scott on Monday morning.  He was a wonderful example of living a Christ centered life.  I am glad that I took time to watch it.  

Yesterday afternoon Andrew had fun staying after school playing pickle ball again.  He is also participating in a running club right after afternoon recess.  He told me he has hit the 5 mile mark already.  Spencer is also doing the running club.

Today Caleb was so excited about going to school in his pajamas.  His teacher likes to read chapter books to the kids.  She picks out books that have movies that have been made so that after they read the book they can watch the movie together.  On movie days they get to wear pajamas.  They were watching “Charlotte’s Web” today.

I am thankful that the kids are happy and doing well with their school work.  We are enjoying cooler mornings and know that fall is in the air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment