Thursday, September 17, 2015

Busy Week

Another week has gone by for our little family.  Last week after all the family visitors left Caleb couldn’t find his stuffed puppy that he loves.  We looked all over it.  After two days of looking I suggested he could pray about it.  He did say a pray and asked Heavenly Father to help us have ideas where to look.  He also described his puppy in his prayer, that way Heavenly Father would know what puppy was missing.  It was really sweet.  The next morning I was getting the boys ready for school and I thought of the CD tower.  We usually have one side facing the wall, it has Christmas music and cassette tapes on it.  I turned the tower and found the puppy sitting on one of the empty shelves.  I was thankful I found it.  I went and brought it to Caleb, who was excited to see it.  He had to rush off to school and it wasn’t until that evening that he remembered to say a prayer of thanks for helping us find his puppy.  Then he asked me “did the still small voice whisper to you?”  I told him no, not really a voice, I just had a thought to look there.  He has a sweet testimony that is beginning to grow.

Spencer is enjoying going to cub scouts.  Last week I taught the lesson on communication.  We did a little obstacle course with the boys blind folded and having a partner giving them instructions on how to get through.  All the boys were doing so well and behaving in a nice way.  Then it was Spencer’s turn.  He was silly and kept running into things and rolling around on the floor.  I was a bit frustrated that he was being so goofy when all the others did so well.  I talked to him about respect afterwards.  This week went a bit better.  He was still silly with his friends and trying to be the center of attention with many things, but he did do the activities in a nice way. 

I am enjoying going to the school and volunteering in the library.  I go every Thursday morning and it has been a nice time for me.  The kids are starting to know who I am and will talk to me and ask for help.  I went into Caleb’s class yesterday to help with a project and his class was all excited and said “you are Caleb’s mom and you work in the library.”  It is nice that I am able to go into the school.  Yesterday I helped the kids do a campus play ground clean up.  Each class takes turn cleaning up garbage outside.  It was Caleb’s turn yesterday.  Then I stayed and watched a presentation from the city zoo.  They had brought in some animals and the kindergarten kids loved it.  Caleb is really enjoying school.  He comes home happy every day.  He knows all the names of the kids in his class now and talks about them.  I enjoy hearing the names and then getting to put a face to the name when I see them in the library.

Friday evening Ruth went to a youth friday activity at the Wilcox’s home.  They did a cup cake war.  The kids had some fun making cup cakes and decorating.  They even had a bit of judging.  Neal helped a little with that when he went to pick her up.  On Saturday Ruth went to one of her leaders home and helped make decorations for their New Beginning night, which is tonight.  She is enjoying being involved.

Saturday I took the boys to the elementary school for a sport equipment exchange.  People had donated old sport things they didn’t want and then it was open for the kids to come and take what they wanted.  The boys got a bat and ball.  Now they keep asking to go to a park so they can try hitting it.  Hopefully we will get them there this week end.  School days get so busy that we haven’t made it yet.

Saturday I also took the boys shopping and got Andrew new church clothing.  He told me about a month ago that he couldn’t button his pants.  But it was okay because the belt kept it closed.  He said it had been that way for awhile.  So now he has new pants that fit!  We also got a new white shirt for him that came with a clip-on tie.  He didn’t want the tie so we gave it to Caleb, who loved it!  Sunday Caleb was asking everyone if they liked his new tie.  I think the men thought it was cute how excited he was about it.  The bishop even sat down and talked to him about ties for a minute.  

Saturday afternoon I took Andrew out on a date.  We played a game of mini-golf and then got a treat.  He has worked hard on his chore chart and this is my way of rewarding the kids.  He enjoyed getting out and we had a nice time together.

The kids also really enjoyed playing in the yard Saturday.  It was nice weather and they had fun digging in the dirt and building things.  They got out their fake insects and made some habitats for them.  









Neal has been working a lot this week.  He has some dead lines and trying to get reports in.  We have missed having him around and hope that next week isn’t so busy.

Sunday we practiced for the Primary program, which will be this next Sunday.  The kids were asked if they had their parts memorized.  I laughed to myself and thought “my boys don’t.”  I forgot about it, even being a Primary teacher and hearing all the announcements.  I had just missed doing it with them.  So we are working on it this week. I am sure they will be ready by Sunday.  We also realized that with Neal and I as teachers and the boys in Primary that Ruth will be on her own this week.  We told her she could sit by a friend during the program.  

Monday morning my Mom called me to let me know that my aunt died Saturday evening.  This is my mom’s brother’s wife.  I was able to visit with her last May, because she came to my parents wedding anniversary party.  I am glad that I was able to see her recently.  She is loved by many and will be missed.

Monday for lunch I met a friend for lunch at Subway.  It was something simple but it was nice to get out and talk to another adult for a bit.  She is someone I met over the summer with the classes we did but isn’t in our ward, so I don’t see her often.  Although I have seen her a couple of times at the middle school.

Monday evening we had a nice FHE.  Andrew was doing the lesson and talking about tithing.  Then we got into a discussion about budgeting and saving money.  Which then led to a discussion about how the kids should save money for missions and school.  What was interesting about this is that the boys hadn’t realized that missionaries pay their own expenses.  They hadn’t thought about where the missionaries get their money.  So it was a new idea to them that they should save money and pay for their own missions.  Andrew even got out a plastic jar and decorated it and made it his “mission fund” jar.  I thought that was fun.

Tuesday evening I went to a band meeting for Ruth’s band class at the middle school.  She is only in 7th grade but they are requiring that they dress in black and white for concerts and pay band fees to help pay for field trips, master classes and music.  It really hit me how expensive programs can be. (Although as I left the school I saw a football practice ending and thought that was probably more expensive than band.)  It really got me thinking about my experience in band.  I really enjoyed being a part of a band that had an excellent program and director.  I realized then what a sacrifice it had been for my parents to let me do that.  This week when I talked to them I thanked them for that.  I hope that Ruth can continue to enjoy the experiences she has with it.  I think she is in a good program.  This middle school has been earning great awards for many years now.


Well, like always I get a bit long in writing.  I guess so many things happen and I try to touch on things with all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment