Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Happy Spring


This year is flying by.  Ruth is getting excited about her birthday.  We are planning a friend party for her too.  Last week Ruth enjoyed going to her activity day activity, they made fudge in a bag.  She enjoyed being with her new leader and a new girl in the ward.  I am glad that it went well.  Andrew had pack meeting and the rest of us went to that.  (The activities are at the same time on Wednesday evening at the church.)  I enjoyed watching a special “crossing over” for Ryan and Josh.  Josh has been in the area about as long as we have.  Ruth and Josh were in a preschool group together.  It is always fun to see how kids grow up.  He is in the Hewitt ward but the two wards do Cub scouts together.

I was able to do some visiting teaching and also presidency visits last week.  It was nice to visit with so many in the ward, but it did take a lot of time.  It also helped me think about my blessings and how the gospel has changed my life for good.

Friday evening we had the missionaries over for dinner.  It was nice to have them in our home.  After dinner Neal went with them on visits that evening.  They like having members come with them to share things as well as driving.  Our ward is so spread out they need help to get around, they are on bikes.

Saturday I had the adventure of going shoe shopping for three kids.  Andrew didn’t need any and stayed at home with Neal.  They were working on his pine wood derby car.  He also had fun working on building bridges.  He made one out of pop cycle sticks and one out of super-structs building toy.  He has been enjoying his little roller coaster too. The shoe shopping went well.  Ruth is wearing a size 8 now.  It just surprised me because before my mission I used a size 8 for a long time.  Then my mission, with all the walking I did, changed my foot and now I use a size 9.  I told Ruth she wasn’t alone having big feet, that all my sisters have bigger feet than I do. I am sure you all appreciate that. :)


Andrew has a great ability to put things together.



Caleb doesn't miss a chance to get his picture taken.  This is a painting he did.


Ruth had on her new flip flops after school today.  I bought these in a size 9 because I thought they fit her better than the 8.  Wow, she is where we could share shoes, I might have to try her new flip flops. :)

Caleb and his new shoes.  Spencer was running around too much to catch for a picture.


Saturday evening Ruth and I went to the church for the General Women’s Meeting Broadcast.  Our Stake did an ice cream social before the broadcast.  We enjoyed visiting with others there and eating some treats.  Ruth was excited to go and be included in the meeting.  It was a good meeting and I am glad that we went.


A picture of me that was taken at church.  I didn't think it was that great, but I thought since I don't get many pictures of me I should at least post this one so everyone can see what I look like.


Sunday afternoon it was Neal’s week to choose the treat.  He wanted pie.  So we worked together to make a pumpkin and an apple pie.  He did good with the crust, I did the filling.  They have been good to eat this week.  It was nice to work with him.

The pies we made.  Neal was creative on the apple pie vents.  I can see where the kids get their artistic ability.  I also made bread that afternoon. 


Monday afternoon Ruth came home from school and didn’t feel well. She rested most the afternoon and tried eating some dinner.  That wasn’t good because she ended up loosing it.  She was pretty miserable for a bit.  I think she was almost more worried that she was missing the big standardized assessment Math test called STAAR here in Texas.  She stayed home Tuesday from school and rested.  She was feeling just fine by evening time.  She was able to go to school today and take the Reading STAAR and will make up the Math test either tomorrow or Friday. She will take the Science STAAR later this month.  I think this has been a hard year on the kids with pressure to do well on the tests.  Fifth grade is the first year that the tests really counts and the kids have to pass it to go on to 6th grade.  I am sure Ruth will do just fine though, she is a good student.

Monday Spencer took a reading test to see how he has improved in reading this year.  He tested at reading at a 3.7 grade level!  His teacher wrote “wow” at the top of his page.  I agree.  He started off first grade having a hard time reading simple readers and needing to sound out most words.  Now he sits and reads with confidence.  He even takes turn reading from the scriptures when we read as a family.  I guess it just clicked and he took off with his reading skills.  He is enjoying reading chapter books now.  He likes the beginning Magic Tree House books, A to Z mysteries and other fun books he finds at school.

Caleb likes doing a “hug pass.”  This is where he will stand in a door way and not let you go through the door until you give him a hug.  It is cute.  He likes to give hugs.  He went to preschool yesterday and had so much fun.  He loves all his little friends.  Yesterday afternoon I took him to the dentist for his first check up.  He was so excited about it.  He was also very talkative with the people there.  He climbed right into the chair and said it was cozy.  He told everyone he was four now, that he had a birthday.  He also told the dentist he had new shoes.  It was cute to watch.  His teeth look great, no cavities and good spacing.  

Today I was busy with strawberries.  The grocery store had a good deal of strawberries for 98 cents a pound.  I made a batch of jam and a batch of syrup.  We like the fruit syrup on pancakes.  I am just tired now from all the work.  We also enjoyed going to the library this morning.

Andrew just came in to tell me that he counted 12 buds on the iris plants.  I am so excited that they will bloom this year!  I haven’t been able to get irises to bloom in my yard because it was too shady.  So the winter of 2012/13 we made a new flower bed in the sun and transplanted them.  I hoped it would work and it looks like it did!

I had to step outside and see the buds.  I took some pictures of the yard.  Things are greening up and it is so nice.  The garden is starting to grow too.  I am thankful for spring time. 


The garden, the large green clumps are the spinach and cabbage that have grown through the winter.  It is hard to see the little tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers and beans growing. 


The roses are looking good.


The pretty iris plants.  It looks like these are the yellow ones that I got from a neighbor last spring when she was thinning hers. I hope that the purple ones mom gave me about 5 years ago will bloom.



The kids have made a "club house" in the back corner of the yard. 


The crepe myrtle bushes are starting to leaf out, they will be pretty one day lining the fence. 


Caleb wanted me to take a picture of his trucks.


The pretty dianthus flowers just keep growing.  They have been there for about 2 1/2 years now. 

This flower bed is looking a bit empty because the ferns died from the cold this winter.  But it does look nice with the green.  I am glad that the grass is starting to green up.

No comments:

Post a Comment