Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thankgiving


Last week I did an amazing thing.  I started and completed a project in two days!  Well, last year I bought fabric to make Caleb new winter time pajamas.  It sat for a year, then on Thursday I cut out the pajamas and on Friday I sewed them up.  He was so pleased.  He has wanted to wear them all morning.  I have to coax him to change to go places, like church.  I am glad that he is liking them so much.  I am glad that I finally got them made!

One day last week Ruth was having a bad day.  In fact at the dinner table she broke down and cried.  I was trying to get everyone to be quiet so we could pray and she started to cry.  I was able to comfort her and then asked Andrew to say our prayer.  I thought it was so sweet he prayed that Ruth would be happy again.  Ruth was doing better the rest of the week.  Yesterday she had her friend Lexi come over, all day!  Lexi even gave Ruth a “best friend” locket.  Today Ruth is playing at her friend Ashleigh’s house.  I am glad she has friends and I hope that she can be happy too.

It has gotten cold for us.  Over the week end it hovered around 38 degrees.  We got a lot of rain, but no ice or snow.  The kids were praying for snow to come.  I am glad to see the sun come out again.  Now it is about 45 degrees, so we have warmed up a little.  I guess winter can come, after all it is the end of November.  

Friday, because it was so cold, we couldn’t go to a park for play group.  I took Caleb to a place called “Flips.”  It is a gymnastic gym that does an open play time for preschool kids twice  a month.  Caleb had so much fun running around, swinging and climbing on things.  It was hard to keep up with him.  When it was time for the gym to close and everyone was leaving I couldn’t get Caleb to come with me.  He even climbed under a trampoline and a worker helped get him out.  He was crying and saying “I want to stay here.”  I felt like the bad guy dragging him out.  One of the other moms commented that was the hardest thing about bringing the kids.  Oh, he wouldn’t put his shoes on either.  I would put one shoe on and by the time I got the other one on he had the first one off again.  It was very frustrating.  We were the last ones to leave the gym.  

Saturday we were able to go to the Waco Stake Center building dedication.  It was so neat to be there.  I enjoyed hearing the talks given and the dedication prayer.  Then we were able to mingle and eat cookies with Stake members.  It was nice to see so many there.  I feel blessed to be in the Waco Stake.

Sunday morning I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting on gratitude.  It went well.  I felt bad that Caleb started crying for me half way through and Neal had to take him out.  Caleb is a hand full.  He can be rather determined to get his own way too.  Even though it is cold he still wont wear pants most days.  I bought him some soft jersey pants today.  Maybe it was just he didn’t like jeans.  I try to work with him but he sure wears me out some days.  

One thing Caleb did that was really neat this week was type.  I let him use the computer.  I put it on a blank word processor sheet.  I showed him how to push the keys to make letter appear on the screen.  He giggled and had so much fun watching the letter appear.  He called to me a few minutes later and said he had done the alphabet.  I came over to see, expecting to see random letters, but, my smart 3 year old had typed the entire alphabet in order on the screen.  Then today he wanted to do it again and kept typing his name.  He remembered how to spell it.  He is so good with is letters.  His letter puzzles are still his favorite toys right now.  

The school kids have the week off of school.  They are excited to have the time at home to play.  Monday was  a little hard on them because it was so cold and rainy.  Today the boys are outside exploring.  Andrew even brought me a handful green beans from the garden.  I am glad they enjoy being outside so much.  Monday I remembered that I needed to go pick up my new glasses.  It overwhelmed me to think about loading up all four kids just to go on that quick errand.  I knew that the kids would double the time for doing it.  Plus it would be hard to keep them in control at the doctor office.  So I decided to leave them at home.  It was so nice to go by myself.  I was only gone about 15 minutes, it was a quick thing to go over.  The kids were happy that I trusted Ruth to be in charge and I was happy to have 15 minutes alone without hearing all their noise.  

Tuesday we went to the Mayborn museum to play.  Ruth’s friend Lexi went with us.  We had lots of fun looking at things.  Since the museum wasn’t very busy I let Ruth and Lexi do things by themselves.  They just had to stay in the same area as me but not in the same rooms.  They had fun together.  I took pictures but realized I didn’t get any of Ruth and Lexi!  We came home and the kids played in the afternoon.  After we took Lexi home I started playing a game of “Life” with the kids.  I remember that being one of my favorite games to play.  This new game we got last Christmas is different from what I remember.  They have updated all the squares.  It was still fun.  This morning we finished playing it.  The kids enjoyed doing something with me.

Yesterday evening I went visiting teaching and then to the grocery store.  I thought it wouldn’t be too busy, or at least not as busy as today.  It was also nice to go by myself.  It was good to get some shopping done for the week.  Then this morning we went to Walmart to get a couple of things I didn’t find at HEB.  It wasn’t too busy yet because we went early.  The kids were a bit crazy in the store and I was thankful I was just doing a little bit with them and not all my shopping!  

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  It will be good to have Neal with us all day. Tonight we are going to the Vance’s home for their traditional Pie Night party.  They invite friends over to eat treats and visit.  We have enjoyed going each year.  Then tomorrow we will drive up to the Smith’s home in Garland for the feast time.  It will be fun to see the Smith cousins and visit with them.  I am glad that the weather has cleared up and it isn’t stormy so we can travel safely.  I hope that everyone has a nice holiday and is safe as they gather with family and friends.


Caleb loved playing with these blocks at the museum.



Spencer was having lots of fun in the pioneer room.  He was being very silly with the puppet chicken.



The boys had fun building with blocks.  Andrew created the large block design.  We took it apart after the picture so it wouldn't fall on anyone. 




Caleb in his new pajamas playing with his letters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment