Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Happy Days


I keep thinking it will turn into fall weather, but last week we had a little taste of it.  Thursday evening we had a big thunderstorm and lots of rain.  The rain lasted through Friday.  We got about 3 inches of it.  This storm cooled everything down and for a couple of days it felt really nice outside, with highs in the 80’s and lows into the 60’s.  Then we got back up to highs in the 90’s and lows around 75.  I guess I should be thankful we have a short winter.  Thursday evening right after I put the kids to bed our power went out.  I did a few things with a flash light and then just went to bed.  I put my watch by my bed and hoped the power would come back on sometime in the night and I would wake up and notice so I could set my alarm clock.  Well, I woke up at 5:58, looked at my watch with my flashlight and was surprised the power was still out.  Right then the power came back on.  So it was out for about nine hours.  I am thankful I woke up in time to get Ruth up for school.  It wasn’t raining when she had to leave so that was nice for her.  When I took the boys to and from school Friday it was pouring rain!

Saturday was a beautiful sunny day.  We were all happy for the nice weather.  The kids spent all morning outside.  They built cute little stick houses under the tree.  The ground was all soft, so they could push sticks into the ground.  I took Spencer and Caleb to a birthday party for a family in our ward.  They had fun playing outside at the party.  In the afternoon we had a babysitter come over.  The kids like her.  Neal and I went to Baylor’s art museum room and saw a display on Ansel Adams black/white photography.  The prints were so beautiful.  There were some I would have been happy to have hang in my house.  We then went for a walk by the river and then out to dinner.  It was a nice afternoon.  The babysitter had fun braiding Ruth’s hair in small braids.  Sunday morning Ruth took them all out and enjoyed some frizzy hair for a couple of days.

Last week Ruth’s glasses broke.  The hinge of the frame broke.  Thursday was an early out day for the kids (they get them once a semester for teacher development time) so we had time to go into the eye doctor and try to get something for her.  We weren’t eligible for insurance help since it hadn’t been long enough to get another pair of glasses.  We were able to find an inexpensive frame that her lenses fit into though.  I was thankful we found something for her.  And she likes that the new frame is purple, which is a hip color with girls right now at her school.  She thought it was fun how many of her friends like her new glasses.

Andrew has been talking to me more about things going on at school.  It is fun to hear about his day and what he thinks about.  He usually talks to me while we are doing work together.  Last night he helped fix dinner and told me lots of fun things.  Monday was his GT day and he was so excited when he came home because they had been building with Lego at school!  They were working on building a robot with the Lego in class.  He has really been into Lego lately and is always building something with it.

Spencer likes the Lego too.  He is starting to do better following the directions to build things.  Although his favorite thing is just putting together some creation of his own.  He is always so happy after school.  He says it is wonderful every day.  He is reading well and got all his spelling words right on his first spelling test ever.  

Caleb is really enjoying playing with trains.  He will build some great layouts of track and play with the train most of the day.  Sometimes I get on the floor and help him build it.  He also likes to play puppy still.  Yesterday we went to the zoo with his preschool group.  We had a fun time seeing animals and visiting with our friends.  Then we went shopping.  While at the grocery store he was chanting “momma” in different tones and being very silly.  Many people laughed with him and one lady even started saying “momma” back to him.  It was funny. Then we got home and he crashed for 2 1/2 hours.  He has been taking naps in the afternoon and often I will carry him out to the car to go pick up the boys from school and then carry him back into the house, still sleeping.  I think it is funny he can take a nap even with going to the school.  Today he fell asleep 15 minutes before we needed to leave, he stayed asleep going to and from the school and will sleeping on the couch right now.  

Saturday Neal was able to work on the garden and we got things planted.  I guess we will see what we can grow before it freezes.  We are planting a month late, because it was just too hot.  Last night I went to my book club and enjoyed getting out and visiting with the other ladies.  I am looking forward to the Relief Society meeting this Saturday.  Things are good and the kids are happy and well.


Ruth with her hair styled and her new glasses.



Spencer asked me to take a picture of him too, he is always goofy.


Caleb playing trains before church.


The kids fun stick houses for their animals.  They are still standing.






This bush has been so pretty this year.  I am glad that there are flowers in my yard all summer long.


The garden all planted.  Amazingly the pepper plants we planted last spring are still alive and are starting to flower again.  So we might get a good harvest this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment