Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Is Fall Here?


Another busy week in our lives has passed us by.  Last Thursday was my last parent meeting at the school.  Since Neal works late on Thursdays I had a friend come over and watch the kids for me while I was gone.  The kids had fun with her, because she just played with them for an hour.  I am always thankful for the service friends give to me.  It was good to go to the schools and hear from the teachers the things going on in the class room.  I feel blessed that we live in a school district that I think is doing a good job and I feel comfortable sending my kids to each day.  And, the kids love going.  Spencer said to me the other day “Mom, school makes me happy!”  

Caleb and I enjoy our time together during the day.  We went to the park for play group, library story time and getting new books there too and just hanging out together at home.  He really likes a green rug in the children area of the library.  He will go in there and lay down on it, rolling around saying how soft it is.  He is enjoying his little preschool.  This week they did the letter B.  I had asked Andrew to help Caleb pick out something he could bring for show and tell.  Andrew helped Caleb find about 10 things that start with B and filled up his back pack with them.  Caleb was so excited about it I let him take it all because he couldn’t decide what to leave home.  He had so much fun going.

Andrew had fun going to cub scouts last week.  It is fun he can be involved in that.  He looks forward to his GT class too.  Monday morning he was so excited to go there again.  He is doing better with his reading.  His teachers are encouraging reading chapter books, to increase their stamina, that not all stories end in a few minutes of reading.  

Ruth is doing well in school.  She gets her work done at school most days.  I asked her last week if she needed to study for her spelling and vocabulary tests on Friday.  She responded “I feel confident I will do fine and don’t need to study.”  She got 100’s on the tests.  She is excited that tomorrow is an early release day for teacher development classes, because she said she hasn’t been getting enough reading time and wants to read tomorrow afternoon.  She was also disappointed that she can only check out one book a week from the school library.  Good thing we have lots of books at home and have the city library.   

Spencer is working at learning to build with Lego.  He likes making his own creations more than following the instructions that come with kits.  He had lots of fun Saturday when Neal let the boys play with his Lego.  This week is Spencer’s first spelling test and he is working hard learning his words.  His reading is coming along really well.  I am happy with him that he is doing so well with it.  He loves books and is excited to read them.

Friday evening we had the missionaries over for dinner.  As we were talking I just was so impressed with these young men.  It made me really think about why we send out young people to teach the gospel.  They are young and pure and have strong testimonies from going through the young men program and seminary.  They are so ready to share it with others.  It is so wonderful to have them in our home as an example to my children.

Saturday evening we went over to a friends home for an open house for their son who went into the MTC today.  That is exciting for their family to have a missionary.  When we first moved here he was 11 and Neal was called to be his scout leader.  He has grown into a great young man and will be an excellent missionary. 

Last week I tried making split pea soup.  I had some old peas that had darkened but I thought they would be okay.  Well I cooked them in my crock pot for about 8 hours and dinner time came and they were still crunchy.  I was surprised.  So we opened can soup to eat for dinner.  I cooked those peas over night on low in the crock pot and in the morning the peas were a little softer but still crunchy, and they had turned brown.  I was sad because I like split pea soup and was frustrated that it didn’t work.  I will have to use fresher peas and try again!  We ended up putting the soup into the compost pile. 

Saturday morning Neal took Ruth and Andrew to Cameron Park to ride bikes.  They got up early so they could do it before it got too hot.  They had a great time and I thought it was great they could do something together.  We have also decided that both Ruth and Andrew need bigger bikes.  They are growing so fast!

I put out all my fall decorations hopeful that it will help me feel like it is fall, but so far it is still hot and hard for me to want to be outside.  Neal was able to dig up our garden area.  I hope we can plant something in the next week or so.  We are already almost a month behind in planting because of the heat.  So I might not get much of a fall garden.

No pictures this week, sometimes I just forget to get out the camera. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment