Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Busy Week


I thought things would slow down once school started but I feel so busy this last week.  I guess we are still getting use to the new school schedule and getting everyone going at the right times.  Ruth is doing well getting up early to catch the bus.  I know she doesn’t like riding it, but it is working well for her to do it.  It is nice that she gets home from school just a few minutes after the boys, so at least she isn’t too late coming home in the afternoon.  They are all enjoying school and getting use to new things.  

Last night Andrew and I went to the school to meet the GT teachers.  He will be starting the gifted and talented program next week.  He is excited about it but also nervous and was very quiet with the teachers last night.  I hope he can warm up to them and enjoy being in the program.

Last week I did some canning.  I decided to try canning strawberries.  I know from things I read about it that strawberries aren’t the best thing to bottle, but I did 8 pounds worth.  After all strawberries have been 98 cents all summer, I thought I would take advantage of the low price.  I thought I really like cooked fruit on pancakes and it will make a nice syrup, I hope.  Then I bottled 14 quarts of apples.  I peeled them all by hand!  That was time consuming.  Next time I decide to do apples I should get me a apple peeler!  

Caleb has been enjoying time alone with me.  He likes to play quietly or sit on my lap when I am sitting down.  He is talking a lot and sometimes distracts me from what I am trying to do.  He is doing wonderful at toilet training.  Last week I decided we would just do it and jumped right into wearing underwear.  He has had very few accidents and is very motivated to do it.  I know that when they are a little older this toilet training thing is so easy.  The hardest thing right now is he still needs help.  But I am sure in a couple of months he will have it down by himself.  I can’t wait to say I am completely diaper free!  Caleb has also been fascinated with water towers and babies.  Whenever we are outside and he sees water towers he gets so excited.  He will even count how many he can see at once, sometimes up to 3 around here.  He loves babies.  Today at the library he went over to one and just smiled so big as he said “he is a cute baby.”  Last week I baby sat for a friend and Caleb was so excited to have a baby in our house he was jumping up and down saying “we have a baby today!”  

Friday evening we had a ward dinner.  It was nice to be with friends and also nice to just get out for an evening.  Saturday evening I did hair cuts for the boys.  I am getting faster and better.  It only took an hour to do all three.   

Monday was Labor Day and the kids were home from school.  They had fun playing in the water.  They enjoyed their slip and slide that Andrew got for his birthday.  Neal came home after working just the morning and we had fun having him around too.  

Things are busy but good.  The kids are getting involved in more things and that also gives me more to think about!  I hope my mind is up to the challenge of helping with home work and keeping everyone on schedule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment