Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Lemonade

Yesterday I went to pick up Andrew from school and it started to rain.  Spencer had stayed home sick, so it was just Andrew I needed to get.  Neal was home so the younger boys were with him.  As I got closer to the school the rain got harder.  I parked and started walking up to the school.  At this school they release the kids when the bell rings and they all come running out.  The parents are all standing around waiting, then we walk back to cars or to houses close by.  It is a little different to not have an organized pick up like we had in Texas. I was about half way to the school when the hail started.  I was frustrated and walked as fast as I could.  With other parents we just walked into the school to get out of the hail and rain.  It was crazy inside.  The kids thought it was fun and the parents were wet and some mad.  I found Andrew and we waited for the hail to stop and the rain to slow down.  Then we got out to the car.  I was soaked through.  Our feet were wet and cold from going through large puddles.  I felt like crying.  After we were home and dried off I had a song come to my mind.  "Lemonade" by Alex Boye.  I posted a link to Facebook if you want to hear it.  I feel like my week has gone like that.  I need to remember that when life gives me lemons I need to make lemonade.

Last Tuesday Neal went to work worried about what would happen.  That evening I took the kids to the church to watch Andrew do a Cub Scout boat race.  He had fun with it.  Wednesday morning we got going like normal.  Neal told me that he would be home soon and he was.  The company laid off many people that day.  He was home before noon.  I have gone through many emotions since then.  I feel frustrated that we moved our family up here only to not have the job work out.  The kids are so happy here with their schools and new friends.  Now we are uncertain where we will go from here.


Andrew is on the right


They let the younger boys try the boats, Spencer raced Andrew.

Wednesday evening we were able to go out to dinner with a group of engineers from work.  It was a good thing for those who were laid off to talk and console each other.  It was a nice evening.  

I am trying hard to keep things going smoothly for the kids and help them to feel secure.  They have been worried.  I reminded them that we have followed what president Monson talked about in the September Ensign, to be prepared.  We have food, we have money, we have a place to live and most important we have each other.

I had fun with Caleb and friends at the park.  Ruth and Andrew had fun playing with friends after school one day.  Then Friday evening Andrew went to a birthday party for a friend.  He had lots of fun.  It was at Boondocks, they did bowling and laser tag.  Saturday we went to the library to see a display of Lego trains.  It was a fun set up.  






Saturday evening Ruth and I went to the church to watch the general women's meeting.  I enjoyed the meeting and the messages given.  There was a lot said about temples.  On Friday Neal and I were able to go to the Denver temple.  It was a peaceful time there.  





Sunday I was given a calling.  I will be serving in the nursery.  I haven't done that since Ruth was small and I was pregnant with Andrew.  That was hard for me and I hope that this time in nursery will go better.  I will miss being in relief society but look forward to serving the young children and getting to know the ladies I will serve with.

I appreciate the kindness of so many in the ward.  I feel the love of my Savior in all this.  This is a time for growth.  Neal is working on applying for jobs and we will see what happens.  I will try hard to keep a positive outlook and know that all will be well.  

I was able to paint Ruth's chair this week.  It turned out nice.  She is pleased to have a chair in her room now.  It took lots of paint to cover up the dark color that was under the ivory paint, where the ivory had chipped off.  I think I did six layers of white.  Then I was out of paint, so it will have to do.  I can still see a few spots that have the dark color showing.  This week I need to work on sewing projects.  Sunday Caleb tripped and fell and tore his church pants.  I have a pair the next size up but they are too long.  I think I will just re hem them.


before I did anything to the chair

after I painted it

I enjoy Caleb's chatter.  He comes up with some funny things.  Yesterday after the storm the air was cool and he wondered if it was going to be cold "like eating ice cream, in the winter, in Alaska."  He is a joy to have around, so are the other kids.  Spencer was feeling great today and went to school.  Ruth is enjoying learning how to play the clarinet.  Life is good and we have so much to be thankful for.  It is different to have Neal home during the day.  But I have faith that we will be blessed with what our family needs to grow.  


I love you all.  Maybe I should go and drink some lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment