Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Happy Fall Time


Yesterday I bought some flowers.  That is one of the things that is nice about living here, we can plant annuals in the fall and enjoy them through the winter.  Last year I had pansies last from October until June.  I plan on planting them later today.  The weather has finally cooled down and I am enjoying the nice fall days.  

Last week I had wrote that I was going to try to talk to someone new at story time.  I did.  It turned out kind of funny though, here I was trying to extend myself to talk to people who aren’t associated with church and I found out she was LDS and in the other ward in the area!  But, I am glad that I talked to her. I even saw her in the church building Sunday and said hi again.  I will keep trying to make new friends.

Andrew has been so happy lately.  It has been fun to hear him humming or even singing as he plays and does things.  I am reminded of a General Conference talk recently that said “A child that sings is a happy child.”  He came home from scouts last week happy saying they had learned a new song for Pack meeting this week.  Yesterday was his school music program.  He did a great job.  He was able to play on a xylophone and had fun with that.  It was a cute program they did where they told stories to music.  The kids all did an excellent job.  Andrew also told me about a cool project they did at school with making different land forms.  His group was assigned to make a display on plateaus. He was excited about it and just really is enjoying school right now.  Monday evening he taught our Family Home evening lesson and put together some nice thoughts.  He is growing and learning so much right now.




Ruth is enjoying school too.  She is keeping up with her studies just fine and likes to spend time doing origami when she can.  Andrew is also into doing origami.  They have found a web site that they like looking at to see new things to make out of paper.  They are getting good at it.  On Thursday Ruth said their social studies class was talking about the Boston Tea Party and her teacher brought in tea to treat the kids with to go along with the lesson.  Ruth said that she declined having some.  I think it was the first time she had been offered it and was happy that she wasn’t even tempted to drink it.  Sweet tea is so common around here in the south, everyone has it all the time it seems.  She also said the two other LDS kids in class didn’t have any either.  I am glad that she has an understanding of what we try to teach her about the Word of Wisdom.  This week they are doing the Red Ribbon Week to teach the kids about staying away from drugs.  Ruth told me the principle was talking to the kids and said that he heard once that the analogy that our bodies are temples and we need to keep them special and clean.  She thought that was cool he would say that.  We showed her the scriptures by Paul in the New Testament that talk about that and saying that is probably where her principle had seen it.

Spencer is so bouncy and excited about life.  He loves doing the ASL with his teacher.  He is always showing me new phrases and words he learns.  He is getting good at spelling with his fingers too.  I think it has been good for him.  One day I showed him a short video clip from the church web site of someone signing the Book of Mormon.  He thought it was fun to watch a real person doing lots in sign.  Sunday was Spencer’s choice for treat and he wanted to make pumpkin cut out sugar cookies.  Everyone got so excited about them.  All the kids helped to decorate them.  

Caleb is growing up too.  He is talking a lot.  He loves to count and is focused on learning the alphabet.  He was so into playing with his letter puzzle yesterday he didn’t want to break for lunch.  He still likes to cuddle a lot and that is nice, but he is also getting very independent and not always wanting to do what we ask him to.  He loved going to preschool yesterday.  He has so many friends and enjoys being with them.  Friday we went to the children’s museum with friends.  He is also learning the days of the week better.  He has memorized what we do on each day.  So this morning he said to me “today is Wednesday, we will go to the library.”  I think it is great he is learning well.

Saturday afternoon I had a surprise visit from my friend Kathy.  She contacted me Saturday morning and asked if they could come over.  It was so fun to see her. She was someone who was a good friend to me when we first moved here and made my first two years in Texas bearable.  I am thankful she takes time to keep in touch with me when she comes down to visit family here in the area.  Her kids are getting so big too!  We had a nice visit.

We had a Relief Society presidency meeting last week.  We are still trying to figure out what is going on with the new building.  It will be interesting to make the change to meeting in a new place.  I heard last night at my book club gathering that the keys to the building have been passed out to the Bishops.  It is going to be neat to go there in two weeks.  Book club was different this month.  We did cook books.  Everyone brought a cook book to show and something they had made from it.  It was fun to eat and chat. 

Well, I have gotten results of medical tests back.  The CT scan didn’t show any obstructions in my sinus cavity. I was given some nose spray to help clear the passages.  My blood work was great and didn’t show any problems.  In a way it is really nice to see that on paper I am healthy with no significant problems.  Then I wonder, why do I feel the way I do?  Maybe my biggest problem is mommy fatigue.  It is hard to keep up with four little ones and all their activities.  I need to do better at getting more sleep.  

I feel thankful for my little family and hope I can continue to guide them along in good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment