Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A fruity fall

This morning it was over cast so I took advantage of the nice yard working weather and did a bunch this morning.  It was nice to work without the sun on me.  I decided to pick the rest of the pears, so I cleared the tree and picked 29 pears.  Some look really good and some have been really good to eat, so I hope we can enjoy these.  I had been really good about spraying them with Sevin every four weeks but missed spraying in August because I wasn’t sure when they would be ready for harvest.  Now I know that I need to spray in August and harvest in September.  Hopefully next year I can remember that and we will have less wormy pears.  I also worked in the front yard flower bed.  I had talked to my mom about the phlox that was growing there and she said it was easy to thin and spread out.  So I did that today.  I hope that it takes and grows well next spring.  I really like phlox and had tried getting it to grow in Texas but never had success with it.  I also moved around some other flowers to have things look more even. 



The pear harvest


These flowers have been so pretty and they attract 
hummingbirds and that is fun to watch.


The pear tree


A pretty, sweet smelling rose in the back yard


Views of the front porch flower bed






Last week I went to the middle school for a parent night.  It was so busy and I had a hard time finding a place to park.  I have two kids at the middle school this year so I had to pick what classes I visited but I did three of Ruth’s and three of Andrew’s.  It was nice to meet some of the teachers, see the classrooms and learn a little about their classes.  They had us go through the six periods and rang a bell every 8 minutes and the parents would move to the next class.  I asked Andrew what his favorite classes are and he told me math, science and band.  He is having fun with the trombone and enjoys practicing it every afternoon.  Ruth is enjoying her art class.  They are both making friendships and enjoying going to school.

After the parent night I came home and got the kids to bed and then I left to go to a party at a friends home.  Ladies in the ward take turns hosting a “girls night.”  We just get together and visit and eat treats.  I felt like a “bad” mom sneaking out after the kids were in bed so I could go party.  Neal was working late that night.  I didn’t stay late and when I got home Neal was home, so the kids hadn’t been by themselves long.  I do like having older children that I feel that I can leave for a bit and they will be fine. I enjoyed visiting with the ladies there that night.  I am thankful for the times I can build friendships.

Our Friday night movie this week was “Wizard of Oz.”  Caleb loved seeing a tornado and had lots of questions about it, but thankfully wasn’t scared of it.  He said he loved the movie, the other kids had remembered seeing it before and said they enjoyed it too.  

Saturday morning the boys had a practice for the Primary program.  Then Sunday they did the program at church.  It is always nice to hear the children sing and say their parts.  The boys did a great job.  I could tell Andrew was enjoying singing, I could hear his voice and see him singing all the songs.  He said he does like singing.  I think all the boys did a great job saying their parts and I could hear them clearly, so that is good.  That was Andrew’s last Primary program to be in.

Saturday evening Neal took the kids out to an Astronomy night.  He has been noticing an Astronomy society web site and their times they go out and for public events.  This was the first time that it worked out for him to go.  The kids were excited about going.  I didn’t really want to, I am not that interested in that and an evening at home alone sounded better to me.  I enjoyed some quiet reading time.  They had a great time seeing stars and learning about the solar system.

Saturday afternoon I decided to work on the apples.  I bottled up 6 quarts with Spencer’s help.  He did great turning the apple peeler and kept up with me trimming the apples and getting them into the pan.  I think they turned out pretty looking.  We still have a lot of apples to eat fresh.  It is nice to go to the store and not need to buy much fruit since we have all these apples and pears to eat!



Monday afternoon I went for a hair cut.  I was debating about what to do with it.  I have thought about going short again, but then chickened out and just kept the same style but cut off about 7 inches.  So it doesn’t look different from the front, but my pony tail is a lot shorter.  

Today is early out for the elementary school.  The mornings always go by quickly on Wednesday.  It is nice that they can have a little play time every week.  Most school days they are busy with so much that they wish they had more free time.  I am thankful they have good schools to attend.







No comments:

Post a Comment