Wednesday, May 25, 2016

School is Out!

This month has been so busy!  Today was the last day of school and the kids are happy to be home.  They all did great finishing up their school year and I am proud of them and the things they accomplished.  I enjoyed finishing up my time as a library volunteer.  One day the librarian had a luncheon for all the volunteers.  I enjoyed going and visiting with the other women and being a part of something like that.  The same day was a volunteer appreciation for all school volunteers.  I enjoyed that too.  The principle thanked everyone for their work and said they are the top school in the district for volunteer hours.  

A couple of weeks ago Neal took the kids on the Sandia Tram.  They have tried going a couple of times and something is always not working and they can’t go up.  This time they got to do it!  I didn’t want to do it, heights bother me too much and I didn’t think I could handle it.  I enjoyed a quiet morning at home alone.  They had a great time.  It is a tram car that goes from the valley to the top of Sandia mountain.  Neal said it took about 15 minutes for the car to get up to the top.  The view looks great from their pictures.  I have driven up to the top of the mountain before, we did that last fall, so I know it is neat to see all of Albuquerque from the top.  From our home we can see the cable lines for the tram and sometimes can see a car moving on it.  They had a fun trip.  They hiked around and played on the top and then rode back down.




















We had Stake Conference two weeks ago.  I enjoyed hearing some wonderful messages about temples at the adult session.  Ruth sang in a youth choir for the Sunday session.  They sounded great.  Ruth enjoyed singing with them.

Last week I went to the track meets for the elementary school kids.  Caleb was the first day with the K -2nd grade kids.  He did great running and loved being in a race.  He also did a mini javelin throw.  While I was waiting in line with him for that javelin I was watching how slow it was going and went to the front and asked the women running it if they needed help.  I ended up helping for over an hour with the measuring.  The kids had fun with it.  The second day I went and watched Spencer and Andrew do events.  They both did the javelin too and again I helped with the measuring until after Spencer threw, then I left to watch Andrew run a relay race.  He did a 4 man 200 M relay.  Andrew was the 4th man on the team.  I was at the finish line to see him come in.  He told me afterwards that out of the seven teams he was 6th to get the baton.  Then he ran hard and passed people.  He ended up coming in 3rd place.  I thought that was great.  He also got 5th place in 5th grade boys for the javelin throw. 







Through out the year the boys participated with a runners club.  They ran every week and kept track of their miles all year.  Andrew ended with 30 miles and Spencer had 15.  The best part was they both earned an award for the top boy runner in their grade for runners club, meaning they ran the most out of all the other boys in their grades.  They both enjoy running.

We had our friends Jack and Miles come over and play after school one Wednesday, an early release day.  They were here for a few hours and we had fun with them.  Their family is moving to another home in the area and will be changing what school they go to so we will miss seeing them at school next year.  

Ruth had her final band concert last week.  We went to it and enjoyed hearing all the bands play.  It was a long concert though.  They had some elementary school bands playing too.  I was worn out from sitting for three hours.  The boys did great listening to it all too and behaved well.  

Caleb had a “Bed Time Story Night” with his class.  We went to the school in the evening and listened to the kids read stories that they had written together.  They were fun stories and the kids did a great job.  I liked that we got a copy of all the stories in a little book to keep.  That night Caleb’s teacher also passed out certificates for completion of Kindergarten.  Caleb has loved going to school and loved his teacher.  He even had perfect attendance.  

I was able to go to a friends home, Shannon, for a ladies night activity.  I enjoyed visiting with other women and eating treats.  It was a fun evening.  I am glad I can go to things like that and get to know people better.  I am also Shannon’s visiting teacher and enjoyed a visit with her.  Her daughter was in Caleb’s kindergarten class so we would see each other often throughout the year.  

I went to the eye doctor and my eyes have changed again.  This time the negative number got a little smaller, I think it is because I have given up contacts and my eyes have adjusted.  I still feel frustrated that it is expensive to get bifocals.  Our insurance doesn’t pay as much as our last vision insurance.  I hope that the glasses work well for me.

Last Friday Neal and the boys went on the Father and Son’s camp out.  They had a fun time. They enjoyed visiting and playing with the others there.  Ruth and I enjoyed some time together too. We bought our dinner from a chicken place and then came home and watched “Once I was a Beehive.”  It was a fun, cute movie about girls camp. 







Then Saturday after the boys camping trip we decided to let them play in the water.  We turned on the water and filled up the little pool in our yard.  The kids had so much fun playing in it.  Sunday we got the fountain running and enjoyed watching it and splashing around while we ate our dinner outside.  It was such a pleasant evening.  


A rose in our garden









Monday I went to Andrew’s 5th grade promotion assembly.  He was happy to finish with 5th grade and elementary school.  After their assembly the kids went swimming at a high school pool.  Andrew had a great time.  


Andrew getting his award, he is the child on the right end

Andrew with his teacher, he liked that he was almost as tall as her

Andrew made tie died shirts last week and he is enjoying wearing it


Tuesday Ruth had fun with a 7th grade dance at the school in the afternoon.  She said it was funner than she though it would be.  She enjoyed being with her friends today after school.  They walked over to Rita’s, an ice cream shop and had a treat before coming home.  I am glad she has made many good friends this year.

Yesterday I went to Caleb’s ice cream party at the school to end kindergarten.  I enjoyed being with his class one last time.  Spencer had fun in his class room.  They wore pajamas and watched a movie.  They all have enjoyed the end of year activities.  

Caleb and his teacher

Spencer and his teacher (yes, she is standing up, she is a short lady and I think Spencer liked that)


Last night we had Pack Meeting at 6:00.  We had our dinner early and were getting ready to leave.  We had been asked to bring a 2 L bottle of root beer.  It was 5:50 and I was rushing to get out the door so we would be on time.  Then I heard an explosion.  I ran to see what happened.  Andrew had been swinging around the root beer and dropped it.  The lid broke and the soda exploded.  He was by the front door and root beer went everywhere in our entry way.  Ruth was quick and grabbed a handful of rags that we could start mopping up the soda running across the floor before it got to carpet.  The root beer was on the walls, the stairs, the ceiling!  It was a mess.  I was discouraged but I think handled things okay.  We got it mopped up and then I decided we should go to Pack Meeting.  Neal met us at the park for the activity time.  I told him what happened at home.  Neal and Andrew worked on cleaning up more when they got home.  This morning I found a section that was missed and cleaned that up.  The house smells a little like root beer still.  I will probably see more some time that we missed cleaning up.  

Last night Ruth and I left Pack meeting early to go to a special Young Women activity.  The girls dressed up in wedding dresses women let them borrow and they modeled the dresses.  Then we had a nice message about temples and the importance of keeping yourself worthy to be in the temple.  They also had good treats.  We enjoyed being with the young women and the family members who came.  I had brought my wedding picture to share in the photo area they had set up.  I had people comment on how nice I looked and I wished Ruth could have worn my dress last night.  I remember how pretty it was on her last Christmas when she tried it on. (My dress is in Utah.)





Well, that is some of the high lights of the last couple of weeks.  I hope that our summer time isn’t so busy, but it will be.  The kids will have lots of fun things going on and I am sure we will have a great summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment