Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Valentine's Day

It has been another busy week.  Last week Spencer came home from school with a paper crown and some beads.  I guess they did a fun activity with Mardi Gras.  Caleb got attached to the things. He wore the crown constantly for about two days.  He wore it to school.  Thursday when I was in the library I was asked if it was his birthday, since he had a crown on.  I said no.  Caleb says he is a king and needs his crown.  Our neighbor said she saw Caleb and when she asked why he had a crown on he stood tall and said “I am a king.”  It was just funny.  I think he has a great teacher because she let him wear it.  She said that if it doesn’t distract him or another student she lets them wear what they want.  

Ruth and Andrew are starting to get information about registration for school next year.  Ruth’s math teacher said she should skip pre-Algebra and go right to Algebra.  Ruth is a bit nervous about that but will do fine.  She also has gotten teachers approval to be in advanced Language arts and is taking a test today to see if she can be in advanced science next year.  She will have a harder class load I think, but it will be good for her.  She was also accepted to move onto Symphonic band, the highest group in the middle school.  Her clarinet is still at the repair shop and she misses being able to practice.

Andrew and Spencer enjoy doing cub scouts.  They are both working hard to finish many things.  We have Pack meeting next week and they should earn some things.  

Friday Neal and I were able to go to the temple together in the morning.  It was nice.  I am glad that I can go often.  Saturday evening Neal took Ruth to the temple to do baptisms.  It is a special thing we can do for our ancestors.  

Friday the boys had Valentine’s Day parties at school.  They enjoyed making little cards for their class mates and getting them in return.  That evening was a ward talent show.  Ruth did a little skit with the Beehive class and then she sang a solo of “Press Forward” a song from the youth theme this year.  She has enjoyed the youth music we found on the church web site and did a nice job singing.

Saturday Neal took Andrew and Spencer bike riding in the morning up onto the dirt trails at the base of the mountain.  They had fun.  Then I took the boys to the dentist.  I was thankful no one had cavities this visit.  Neal took Ruth shopping for a new bike helmet and then they did a picnic and bike ride, while we were at the dentist.  That evening Neal and I went out to eat for a date night.  I enjoyed getting out.  Neal bought me flowers too.  It was a nice evening.

Sunday was Valentine’s Day.  It was a bit hard for me actually.  My dad’s birthday is February 14.  I have always associated the day with him. I decided to make his favorite kind of cake, in a heart shape.  I called my mom and talked with her for a bit.  She was having a nice visit with Rachel and others were coming over soon.  I am thankful for family.  The kids also helped make some sugar heart shaped cookies that they took to the neighbors.



Monday and Tuesday the kids had off school for Presidents Day.  We worked hard to get the boys science fair projects finished and their posters done.  They were due today.  I hope that their presentations to their classes go well today.  Spencer and I worked together on his.  He had three small plants that he wanted to see if it mattered what liquid you fed plants with.  He did water as a control.  Then he did vinegar and apple juice.  The apple juice molded and had an awful smell.  The vinegar wasn’t too smelly but killed the plant.  It was interesting to see how he could learn a few simple things with his experiment.  Andrew worked with Neal doing citrus fruit batteries.  They worked on seeing what kind of fruit and metal combinations make the best battery.  He did a good job with his poster too.  And in case you wondered it was a lemon with copper and aluminum that worked best.




I saw this shirt and thought it fit perfect for Caleb.  He loves it!


Monday we had friends come over.  Ruth had her friend Emme come over.  Then the boys had fun with Jack and Miles coming over to play all afternoon.  They played a lot outside.  The weather has been so nice and warm this week.  The only issue with that is we have a dirt back yard.  It is all dry and dusty.  The kids are bringing a lot of dirt inside the house on their shoes and clothing.  It is hard.  We are trying to teach them how to brush off and take their shoes off, outside.  They have lots of fun in the dirt, but it is dirty.  

Tuesday afternoon we went to the science museum.  There is a special exhibit on Spy’s this spring.  The kids enjoyed going through it, looking for clues to solve a mystery.  We spent most our time there and it was fun.  

This morning is being a bit quiet after having the kids home for four days.  I am thankful they are all happy, healthy, growing and imaginative.  I love my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment