Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Boys and Trains

We have had another busy week.  So many activities with all the kids.  I am sure it will just continue to be busy until they all leave home and then I will have to find other things to fill my time with than caring for their needs.  

Last Wednesday evening Ruth had a band concert.  She was excited for it and felt she preformed well.  She has done well with the clarinet this year.  She told me that in class yesterday they had a contest to see who could hold a note the longest and she tied for first place in the woodwinds.  Ruth had some other activities as well.  Saturday evening she went to a birthday party for her friend, Rachel.  They did a painting class at the party and Ruth came home with a cute picture of a panda bear.  Sunday Ruth was able to go to her first Bishop Youth Fireside chat.  I thought it was fun that she was old enough to participate with that.  She was able to listen to a newly returned missionary share his experiences.  


Ruth is in the front on the left, she has a light pink shirt on and a pink bow in her hair.  The first picture is with a student teacher director, the lower picture is with the band teacher on the podium. 




Friday Caleb and I went to a special library story time at a grocery store.  It was a special thing we had to sign up for and Caleb enjoyed it.  They read some stories to the kids and talked about what grows in a garden.  Then we had a tour of the store.  They even gave out some samples.  I liked the smoked salmon and maple bacon they gave us.  After I had signed Caleb up for this activity I realized that the boys had assessments at school and only had to be at the school for two hours.  This conflicted with my story time plan.  So I asked my friend Katie, who lives by the school, if she could pick the boys up.  It worked great.  Spencer and Andrew played at the Turner’s house for an hour until I got there with Caleb, after our story time.  Then we stayed and visited and played for another hour.  It was a nice morning.  Today Caleb and I went to the Turner’s house for lunch and play time again.  Normally we meet at a park on Wednesdays but today everything is wet from all the rain we have had.

Saturday evening we had the sister missionaries come for dinner.  We enjoyed having them in our home.  It is nice we have sisters in the ward right now, so I can still feed them even with Neal not being here.

Monday evening I was surprised when Julie brought over pizza and salad for our family.  She said she thought I could use a break from cooking.  I really appreciate the kindness of our friends here.

Monday we had Logan and Parker come over for FHE again.  It went alright but was busy keeping all the boys in line.  I am glad we can share a little of something religious with our friends.  The boys have so much fun playing together.  Yesterday they played out in the rain and enjoyed that. Today they are playing outside and just moved indoors to play.  They seem to always be together after school now. 

Our big event for the week was Saturday morning.  I took the kids to the Denver Railroad Museum.  It was the museums free day and I didn’t know how busy it would be, but it wasn’t too bad.  We enjoyed walking around and seeing many real engines and train cars, some over 100 years old.  We also enjoyed a HO scale train set up inside a building and a G scale set up in a garden.  The kids were so excited when I decided to pay for a ride on the real train they had going around.  It was a steam engine from the 1880’s.  It was neat to ride behind.  Although I had soot and ashes that I was brushing out of my hair later in the day.  It was loud and smelly but it was cool to see running and ride behind.  I took some video of it going by on the run after ours.  

The kids are getting more excited and stressed about moving.  It will be a big change for all of us.  I hope this next month goes smoothly.


The indoor HO scale train



Some of the trains and cars we could climb on, others we couldn't.  The kids loved them all.



The G scale train in the garden, Caleb liked that there was a Thomas engine. 








These are some pictures from our ride on the train.  The lower picture is the turn about at the round house, to be used with real trains.  We could only see it from the train ride.




The real water tower that the steam engine uses every day.



We were riding in an open car, it didn't go very fast. 



Pictures I took of the train after our ride, on its next run.  It was a neat looking engine. 




This is a short video I took of some of the G scale trains and then of the real steam engine going by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment