Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Quilting

Last week I did get Andrew’s quilt all set up.  It has been awhile since I have done that, but I got it all put on the frames.  (Thanks mom for letting me borrow yours!)  I worked on it a lot this week.  I guess my week wasn’t that busy with other things.  Today I took it off the frame and did the binding.  So it is all done!  I think it turned out well.  Now the other boys are getting anxious for me to do their quilts.  I have Spencer’s almost pieced together.  It might take me a week to get it ready to quilt.  I am glad that I have the time to work on this right now.  I bought the fabric a year ago.  And that was after planning them and thinking about it for almost two years.  So I am thankful this is finally getting done.  I hope that the boys can enjoy them.


The quilt set up on the frame.


I draped the quilt over the dining room table, to see it.  I figure once it is on his top bunk bed it won't be as easy to see.  So I did all the quilting in a week.  I only quilted around the blocks, my hand is a bit sore, but it went quickly.  I am pleased with how it turned out.



The weather has been nice on many days.  I like how sunny it is here.  Even when it is cold the sun can be out and it feels nice enough to get out.  Last week Caleb and I went to a play ground about a mile away.  He rode his trike back and forth, and played for a bit on the play ground.  He got good exercise that day.  I have tried going for walks but have been a bit lazy and not gone every day.

Friday afternoon Spencer was upset that he had forgotten to take in a Lego creation for a school contest.  That evening he organized his own Lego display.  He asked everyone to bring things they have made and show it to the family.  I was the only one that didn’t have anything to show.  Neal has been making things with the boys lately, so he even had something to show.  It was fun to let the kids talk about what they had made.  Then Monday morning Neal took the boys to school and went in the school with Spencer and his Lego car he had made.  They asked the teacher if Spencer could turn it in still, even though it was late.  They let him and he was all excited about it.

Last Friday the kids got their semester report cards.  I was a bit worried about how they were doing, since this is the first report card of the year.  I see marks on their papers but haven’t been sure how they really are doing.  The grading system is different here.  The kids did well, at least I think so.  I know they all got some “2’s” on their report but I felt like over all they are learning what the school is teaching.  We talked about it with the kids too.  We made sure they understand that the important thing is that they are learning and doing their best.  Also to see what areas they are a bit weak on and to work hard to improve in those areas. We have parent conferences coming up in February, so I guess I will see what the teachers say about their work.

Saturday evening I went to a party some women in the ward organized.  It was a “Favorite Things” party.  Everyone brought one of their favorite things to share with everyone,  (we brought three of them.)  We went around the circle telling what we brought and why, then we drew three names out of a bowl to say who got our three favorite things.  It was a fun way to get to know each other better and have a gift to bring back home.  I brought my favorite granola bars, Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Dark Chocolate Peanut and Almond.  They are a bit healthier than candy bars and I enjoy them once in a awhile.  I got some fun things to bring back home.  I enjoyed the evening out and am glad that I went.

Sunday was our Ward Conference.  I liked the talks given by our Bishop and Stake President on keeping covenants and staying on the path.  In nursery we had a Stake Primary leader come in and teach the lesson and do a craft with the kids.  I thought that was fun they did something special, even for the nursery kids.  The other classes that day were taught by Stake leaders, even sharing time in Primary.  Sunday afternoon Ruth and Neal went to ward choir and enjoyed singing with the group.  It was Ruth’s first time going.  She has asked to go before and now that choir is practicing at a different time we decided to try letting her go.  She does have a nice voice and enjoys music.  

Monday evening it was my turn to teach our lesson and I decided to down load the app for Family Tree onto the iPad.  Then I showed the kids the app.  It was fun to see the different family history lines.  We looked at pictures and read some of the stories on it.  I felt that I need to work at teaching the kids their family history.  I want them to know the names and stories of their ancestors and I think it is neat that we have this tool to help us with that.  I am thankful for family members who contribute in the work and make it available on the church site.  It is a good thing to learn about our family.  The kids enjoyed it.  Ruth even wanted to look at it more yesterday.

Caleb has had some fun playing with friends this week.  Yesterday Evan came over to play and today Justin came over.  I enjoyed watching Caleb play with his friends.  It is good for him to play with kids his own age.  I am glad that these boys could come over.  


The boys have their neighborhood friends over right now and they are all in the basement playing with the trains.  I am glad that they can have friends, even when they are loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment