Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Merry Christmas Everyone!


We had another wonderful, fun filled week.  Last Wednesday evening Ruth and Neal went to the church for a Activity Days Father/Daughter activity.  The leader did a great job planning and organizing things.  They had a nice evening together.  

Thursday and Friday I spent my “spare time” making candy.  I was thinking about how this tradition got started.  I remember being a student at BYU about 20 years ago and a neighbor made toffee.  I thought it was divine.  I decided I wanted to learn how to make it.  That started my tradition of making candy.  Every year I would make toffee and fudge, then I would try another recipe out.  Now I have a dozen or more recipes I like, but don’t make them all every year.  I remember making candy with Rachel and trying new things out.  I remember the first time we tried divinity, it turned out great, but burned out moms old mixer.  I enjoy making it and eating it too.  But the best part is giving it away.  I enjoy hearing people tell me that the candy reminds them of their mom or grandma and the treats they would make.  It is getting harder for me to make in a way, because of my lactose problems are getting worse and I can’t eat most of what I make without taking multiple pills to have the chocolate, cream and butter not bother my stomach.  But I guess that is good because I don’t need to be tempted by all that goodness, I just remind myself my body doesn’t like it any more.  Sunday afternoon I had the kids help me divide the candy up into little containers and we have been giving it away.  I wanted to include the kids more this year.  They have been really excited about it and were excited to bring it to their teachers at school and think of others to share it with.

Friday evening we enjoyed the first fire of the season.  Neal built it up before dinner.  It was a cool, rainy day and a fire made it all cozy.  It is nice we can do that.  Saturday we had a busy time.  We worked hard in the morning to get our piano lessons done and house cleaned.  Then in the afternoon we went as a family to the Mayborn museum for their Christmas party.  They did a big party this year and it was so much fun.  Santa was there, so was the electric train exhibit.  We always enjoy the trains.  Then they had so many different crafts and activities we didn’t have time to do it all.  The kids had fun decorating cookies, making ornaments for the tree and doing bird feeders with pine cones, peanut butter and bird seed.  They had a Nativity area for the kids to dress up.  The boys had fun with the sheep.  We ended the time at the museum by going to the gift shop.  The kids had earned a reward for their piano practice and I let them pick out a stuffed animal.  Andrew and Spencer chose snakes and Ruth and Caleb chose horses.  Caleb wished he had picked the snake by the time we got home.  They are about 4 feet long and the boys have had lots of fun playing with them.

Saturday evening I went over to the church to help set up for the ward Christmas party.  Everything looked so pretty.  I helped for a bit and then left.  We had decided to go to Neal’s work party, so we didn’t go to the ward dinner.  The kids had a baby sitter and had fun with her.  Neal and I enjoyed going to the L3 party.  It was a nice dinner and we enjoyed talking together, we even danced a dance with the live band.  It was good to go out together. 

By Sunday the weather changed again.  Now we have been enjoying beautiful clear, sunny days, with highs around 68.  I have really enjoyed going out for walks in the afternoon and enjoy the beautiful weather.  The kids have had some fun playing in the leaves. The oak trees in the side yard decided to drop their leaves this week and they are thick on the lawn.  So we will have a nice brown Christmas and will have fun with the leaves for a few days. 

Last night I went to book club.  We had decided that this is a busy time of year, so we didn’t read a book this month.  Instead we watched “Anne of Green Gables.”  We had read one of the books in the series this year and a couple of the ladies hadn’t seen the movie.  It was fun to watch again.  I enjoyed it.  It was nice to get out and do something with friends and have a relaxing evening.  

Yesterday Caleb had his preschool Christmas party.  We enjoyed going and visiting with friends.  Then in the afternoon I had a presidency meeting and Caleb went to play at the Baker’s home.  He was so excited about playing with friends more, as he got out of the car he said “today is a good day.”  I am glad that he has friends.  Today I took Caleb to the library and we enjoyed that too.  Things have been busy, but good.

Christmas is just a week away.  The kids are excited.  They have two more days of school.  They wont do a lot of school work though.  Tomorrow Andrew is having a reading day in pajamas, Spencer is making gingerbread houses and Ruth is doing a Christmas music concert.  Then Friday is a half day with Christmas class parties.  They have fun doing things with their teachers and friends.  Then we will have a nice break.  Neal is able to take time off work too.  So we will have lots of family time this break.  I am thankful for my family.  

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!


The kids with Santa


The boys being elves


Pictures of the boys looking at the trains.




The kids with their cookies they decorated.




Caleb wanted to make  a "mean" face.



Spencer and the singing sheep, they were puppets and fun to play with





No comments:

Post a Comment