Saturday, January 5, 2013

Baking Bread in the Sun Oven

My big Christmas gift this year is a solar Sun Oven.  I thought it would be fun to try.  That way I have a way to cook food that takes no fuel.  I also thought it would been nice to use in the summer time when it is so hot, so I don't heat up the house by making bread.

Today was bright and sunny, first good sunny day since Christmas.  I decided to try it out.  Since we are in the middle of winter it was hard to get the angle right with the sun so low in the southern sky.  I could only get the oven up to 300 degrees.  I put my bread in it.  I checked it every 20 minutes or so and adjusted the oven a little to keep it in the direct sun.  The shadows were getting longer and the sun lower and still the bread didn't seem done.  Finally after about 90 minutes I decided to take it out.  It wasn't as brown as I would have liked.  I cut a slice and it was perfectly baked.  It smelled great.  It tasted wonderful.

I think I will wait another month or so until I try it again, give the sun a chance to get in a better angle.  This also was a nice thing to do today since my oven element went out and isn't fixed yet.  So that way I avoided buying bread.  I don't like store bought bread very well now that I have been doing my own all the time.  Now I have the ability to make bread without any electricity or fuel.





1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I wish I lived closer. I guess I'll just have to make some.

    ReplyDelete