Wednesday, November 8, 2017

November Activities

I have a few minutes this morning and thought I would write a letter after only one week.  Wow, I am trying to keep up with it.  It has been a good week.  I am enjoying the nice fall weather.  The leaves are all yellow, red and orange and the cool air in the morning feels good to get out in as I walk to the school with the boys.

Spencer is having lots of fun with his yo yo.  He is getting really good with it and learning a few tricks with it.  Andrew has also worked with it and doing well.  It is fun to see them learn something new.  Andrew worked on the picnic table on Saturday.  He is refinishing the wood of the table for his Family Life merit badge.  It will be nice when it is done.  The boys have also played a lot with their electric trains this week. Caleb loves riding his bike to his friend Charlie's home.  The boys are in the same school class and primary class and have really enjoyed being together. 

Friday evening we had the missionaries come over for dinner.  We enjoyed visiting with them.  They are both different Elders from the last time we had missionaries come.  One of the them is from Orem and that was fun to talk a bit about Orem and where we lived.  We went to the same high school.  It was a nice evening.

Saturday Neal helped his friend and home teaching companion, Jeremy, paint in his home.  Jeremy has needed to do a lot of remodeling in his home due to water damage and mold in the bathrooms and kitchen.  He has had help from the ward at times to do things to help save on costs.  Neal has helped multiple times with cleaning and painting.  Jeremy is the choir director and told us last Sunday that the work is nearing completion (after about four months) and with in the next couple of weeks they will be able to move back into their home.  It has been a trial for them and it has been good for Neal to help him so much.  Neal did a lot of service this week.  Friday he also went into a food bank and served there for a shift.  Then Saturday afternoon he helped Thane move his hot tub onto a deck area for it.  It has been nice that Neal has been taking Friday’s off the last few weeks.  He has worked a lot of over time and is trying to get his hours back to normal.  I have enjoyed having him around on the week ends more.

Saturday afternoon I cut all the kids hair.  I even got Ruth to let me trim up her hair.  I can’t remember the last time we did it and it really needed to be evened up.  I think it looks nicer now and I hope she likes it.  I tried not to cut off too much, because she wants it long.  The boys look better and not so shaggy. 

Saturday evening Neal and I went on a date.  We went to a favorite Cuban restaurant to eat. It is a nice quiet place with good food.  We came home and helped the kids get to bed and then played a game of Settlers.  It was a nice evening to do something relaxing together.

Sunday we had a regional conference broadcast.  I enjoyed the messages that were given about service.  I thought how I need to keep working at keeping my eyes open to opportunities to serve others and help in simple ways. We had choir practice in the afternoon.  I enjoy singing with our group.  We are working on Christmas music now and I enjoy that. 

Monday evening Neal and I went to a neighbors home for a open house social to say good bye to a family that is moving from the street.  We thought it was a good opportunity to get to know our neighbors better, even though we don’t know the family moving very well.  It was good to talk to many neighbors and meet them.  We enjoyed visiting.  It was earlier in the evening and the kids were patient with us to wait to eat dinner until we got back about 6:30.  I feel thankful that we live in a good area.  The people around us are so kind.  Many of them have lived here 20 or 30 years.  The couple moving are the first owners of their home, the couple that gave the party are also original owners, so they have been next door neighbors for 34 years. Others talked about when they all had children and how busy the street was with activity. They are happy that there are families buying the homes for sale and that their are children in the area again. 

Last night I enjoyed going to my book club.  We had a great discussion and I am glad that I can be a part of a good group of women that can talk about ideas so openly. 

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment