Friday, September 15, 2017

Family Time

The month is half over.  I feel like time goes quickly.  The kids are staying busy with all their activities.

Ruth has enjoyed going to the youth Stake volley ball activities on Saturdays.  I am glad that she enjoys the church activities.  She likes going to seminary and thinks her teacher is great.  She is so good about getting up on her own and getting ready to go, then Neal or I drive her over to the church for her class at 6:00 am.  It is an early start to her day but she says it is worth it.  Last night I went to the church with Ruth for the young women New Beginnings activity.  Ruth was awarded with a ribbon for completing a value.  She enjoys her leaders and friends at church.

Andrew is busy with jazz band after school on Tuesday and Thursdays.  He likes playing the trombone.  He is doing well with his classes too.  He likes the train club.  They had their meeting last Saturday.  Andrew is also involved with boy scouts. Next week at the court of honor he will be awarded his 2nd class scout rank.  He only needs a few more nights of camping to get his 1st class rank.  Next Friday he will go camping with his troop.  Last week Andrew, Ruth and Neal went to the temple with a youth group to do baptisms.  It was Andrew’s first time.  He said it was a special place to be and was happy he could go inside the temple.

Spencer is very happy with the Lego he got for his birthday.  He even bought another set with money that had been given him.  He likes to play stories with the things he builds.  He has lots of police characters and enjoys doing stories with them. Spencer likes his school teacher.  He wanted to do something nice for her.  Last Monday he picked a bunch of cherry tomatoes and brought her a bag full.  She likes tomatoes he said.  She was pleased.  He told me this week that recess is getting boring.  I can tell he is growing up.  Last night Andrew and Spencer did a bike ride with the school.  They rode their bikes about four miles.  The school is going to sponsor bike rides this year to accumulate 2000 miles among all the students.  They are doing an activity with two other schools the PE teacher has put together.  Our kids will “ride their bikes” to New York City, kids at a school in NYC will “swim the miles” to Little Rock and kids at a school in Little Rock will “run the miles” to Albuquerque.  They are calling it a triathlon.

Caleb has enjoyed having friends come over to play.  He will ask me to call friends and invite them over.  My other kids don’t do that, I guess they are fine playing by themselves or with each other. Caleb has really gotten into studying about space.  He likes to watch little videos on the computer about it, check out books from the library and he talks about it a lot.  He enjoys playing “wall ball” at school.  I think it is fun that the school has a wall ball court, a big cement wall in the play ground.  I remember as a kid we just hit balls against the side of the school.  Caleb loves school. I figure that is the most important thing right now for him.  He is learning so much and figuring things out with things he does at home.  I am okay with his schooling right now, because he enjoys it.

I had fun going to the book club last week.  We had read “Gone with the Wind” over the summer time.  We had a nice discussion about it.  I enjoy that book.  I had read it before but read it again over the summer and enjoyed it again.  I have done yard work this month and bottled fruit.  Today I picked the golden delicious apples.  It is a very small tree so we only got about 40 apples off of it.  They are a bit small, I probably needed to thin them more that I did.  I will learn.  They taste good.  We are at the end of our pears.  They have been wonderful.  We have enjoyed eating as many as we want each day.  Which means we are doing through about 6-8 pears a day.  Last Saturday Neal and I went out to eat for a date time.  We decided to try a Greek restaurant. The food was excellent.  Neal tried lamb chops and enjoyed them.  I liked the appetizer we got that was some rice mixture wrapped in a cooked grape leaf.  It was really good. It was fun to try something new.

Monday we invited a family in our ward over.  We had dinner with them and an enjoyable evening of visiting.  It is nice to get to know people better by having them in our home.  Tuesday I attended  a Relief Society activity.  We had a pot luck dinner and a man in our ward who is a lawyer, talked about Estate planning, Wills, and Trusts.  It was informative.  I also enjoyed visiting with the other sisters.

This morning I found out my uncle Gene passed away yesterday.  He was my dad’s older sister’s husband.  Aunt Zelma passed away last year.  So now Gene went with her.  They were married for over 60 years and such a great example to me in love for one another and for their family.  My thoughts will be with their family this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment