Wednesday, October 5, 2016

It is October!

I did get my camera to connect to the computer again.  I am not sure why it didn’t work.  I posted on the blog some pictures that went with the last couple of letters.  This week we had a great time going to the school Friday morning for a hot air balloon time.  In conjunction with Balloon Fiesta they have two balloons come to most of the elementary schools in the city on the Friday before the Fiesta starts.  The kids had lots of fun seeing the balloons be inflated and get to be up close to them.  They were able to climb into the baskets and see the flame shooting up into the balloons.  It was a fun event.  Later that morning Neal went to the school and went into Caleb’s class.  He did a demonstration about hot air balloons and why they work.  It was something Caleb’s teacher had asked Neal to do since he works for the National Labs.  It was a kit that Neal got through the labs.  The next morning the Balloon Fiesta started.  We could see all the balloons in the air, on the west side of the city.  It was pretty.  We have even see the fire works they have done on some of the nights.  It is fun to be up on a hill with a good view.  We don’t plan on going to the Fiesta this year.  




Friday evening we had the missionaries over for dinner with us.  They are kind sisters.  Thursday morning I went out with the missionaries for an appointment, which fell through, but we talked to the man’s dad for about 20 minutes at the door.  Friday the missionaries taught us the first discussion after dinner.  They are encouraging the youth to learn the discussion and share parts with their friends.  

Friday evening when Neal came home he couldn’t open the garage door.  After looking around the problem was found, a spring was broken.  Saturday morning he called a door repair place and someone was able to come out and was able to fix things for us that afternoon.  I am thankful for their quick response to our need.  

Saturday we enjoyed listening to and watching the General Conference for the church.  The kids did so well being attentive and quiet.  They were working on quiet things, coloring, origami, and I was doing my cross stitch of the Timpanogos Temple.  I finished it!  I started working on it in November 2004.  I remember getting the pattern printed at my parents house and my dad commenting to me that it looked like a big project and wondered how long it would take me to do.  I laughed and said “maybe ten years.”  Well, it actually took almost 12.  I think it turned out nice.  Now I need to wash and press it, then get it framed.



I enjoyed listening to conference on Sunday too.  It was a peaceful day.  Neal decided to do the cooking on Sunday, since he couldn’t help me more on my birthday.  He made some great breakfast burritos and home made pizza.  Andrew was a great helper in the kitchen. We had a nice family day.

Monday was my birthday!  I had a nice day.  It was quiet at home and I made my own cake.  The kids were all happy and cheerful for me.  Caleb kept giving me hugs and singing to me.  He even sang to me after school when I was picking him up.  We had a nice FHE that night, ending with cake and gifts.  I think the kids are more excited about some of that than I am as an adult.  I am glad that they can enjoy birthdays, even when it isn’t their own.  Andrew gave me a cool origami thing he made.  Caleb gave me a coupon to go buy a donut with his money, he even gave me some coins.  Today I bought one and enjoyed the thought that he did that for me.  


The kids figured out how I put the candles on the cake, can you?  
I wasn't going to use one for each year, I didn't want to start a smoke alarm.




Tuesday I went to the library and enjoyed being at the school.  The kids are all doing well in school.  They have brought home mid term reports and they all say positive things about school.  The boys enjoy their scout programs.  Spencer earned his first belt loop for Bear’s last week at Pack Meeting.  Andrew enjoy going to his scout meeting every week.  Today Spencer went on a hike after school with his den.  Andrew has enjoyed riding his bike to the elementary school each afternoon.  He will get home from school, walking because he has the trombone to carry, and then get on his bike and catch up with me going to the elementary school.  Then he rides around a little and comes back home.  Yesterday his bike broke.  The back wheel wouldn’t turn, even with releasing the break.  We couldn’t see what was wrong so I helped him carry it home.  We worked together to get it the 1/2 mile back home.  He looked it over good and discovered that his chain is cracked.  We have another bike that he has been reluctant to try because it is bigger, but last night he was learning how to ride it with Neal helping.  I am glad he likes to get out and move.

Caleb likes to draw and write things in the mysterious “Caleb world languages” He can sit for a long time doing things at the craft room table.  He is there now.  He is enjoying reading too and was excited that he read about 200 minutes last week, his teacher requires a minimum of 50 minutes.  He likes reading the “Humphrey” books.  


Spencer's tooth/gum has healed great.  He is happy to have a tooth showing 
and now we just need to wait and see if it will move down on its own.

Caleb coloring

Thursday and Friday are fall break, no school.  Ruth is excited to go with the young women on a retreat.  The boys are excited they don’t have school.  It sure feels like fall now.  The nights are getting cooler and the trees are changing color.  It is a nice time of year.


No comments:

Post a Comment