Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Merry Christmas

 


December 2020

Dear family and friends,
    As this year comes to a close we have many things to be thankful for. The year started off just like many others. We were busy with activities for the kids; some evenings it felt like we were being pulled in so many directions. Then came March. The schools closed and turned to on-line virtual teaching, church meetings moved to our front room, Neal started working from home, and family life slowed down. Now eight months later, the kids are still doing school from their computers, Neal works most days from his home office, in-person church meetings are limited, and we have enjoyed a lot of great family time. It is a good thing: our family has grown closer and we have enjoyed less stress this year.
    This summer we drove to Indiana to visit Neal’s brother’s family. We had a great trip and the kids loved being with their cousins. Neal enjoyed helping his brother build a play room in the attic. His mother was also there, so we had a nice visit with her. We went to Utah to visit our  sisters and their families. We spent time with each family separately instead of gathering all together. While there, Neal took Andrew and Spencer backpacking and hiking with the best of friends. It was refreshing to be in natural environments. The additional effort required to be there made the trip more special.
    In August, Becky was able to return to Utah to attend her nephew’s wedding. It was a nice trip that afforded time to visit with her mom and her brother, who was also staying at their mom’s home. They enjoyed gathering all together for the wedding, which was a simple one in the backyard of her nephew’s home.
    The kids returned to school virtually. They are doing fine with it, even though they all miss seeing friends and being around other students. It is a different way of learning. The teachers are doing an excellent job helping the kids with the on-line classes. We are thankful that the kids are good independent learners and do so much on their own. It is nice to have everyone home for lunch time and we enjoy hearing what everyone is doing in their classes.
    During the summer, Neal took the boys exploring and fishing in wilderness areas. He pushed the limits of his abilities in bicycling and made some simple furniture at home.
    Becky has worked on sewing a quilt—maybe someday it will get done. She also works on scanning old pictures and organizing them. She has listened to many audio books while going for walks and doing yard work or other tasks around the house. We all enjoy having quiet evenings with our family. We read scriptures together and learn from each other. It is nice to have the relaxed schedule with hardly any appointments.
    We would have to say that even though we didn’t ask to live with all the government restrictions or the pandemic, we are thankful for this year and the things it has taught us. We are thankful for family. We are thankful for Neal’s stable job to provide for us. We are thankful for church and the friends we have there. We are thankful for a prophet who is so positive and kind. We love Christmas time as a time to reflect on the year and on our testimonies of our Savior. We know he was born and lived an amazing life. He died to fulfill the plan of God for us and He was resurrected. We know that Jesus lives now. He is leading and guiding us as we turn to him. We are thankful for that.
    Caleb: This year has been very different. Not only has COVID affected the lives of many, including us, but there has been much more. I have discovered a new program where I can create music, which has been very helpful in my steps towards becoming a musician, but not only an amateur. I’ve hit five feet tall, even a little over, which I sure am excited about. School has been different this year. I’ve started fifth grade, which is the last in elementary school. I have started to get used to going to school on a computer, though it is sometimes frustrating and I very much wish we could actually go to the building. Though I do believe that I am getting along fine with the new schedule. Most of all, I am happy for the coming Christmas and all the fun family time we are going to have together here at home! I only wish that all of you could join our family for the holiday season. Merry Christmas!
    Spencer: I enjoy building with Technic Lego and reading lots of books. I have found a fun driving game on the computer, and I have had lots of free time with online school. I enjoy playing saxophone with the band. I hope that next year I can go more places than I did this year, though I did go on many fun campouts. I also hiked to the top of Mount Timpanogos and Sandia Peak this year. It’s hard to remember everything from this year, so Merry Christmas.
    Andrew: I have gone on some fun campouts and fishing trips this year. We went to the San Pedro Parks and San Gregorio Reservoir in New Mexico, and we camped at White Pine Lake in Utah. I have also been working on other things with the time I have had. I have been doing yard work for my neighbors to earn some money. I continue to work on my model railroad. I had fun growing peppers in the garden and helping with our yard. I enjoy playing trombone and recently made it into one of the New Mexico All-State Jazz bands.
    Ruth: This year has been a unique one, and I’ve enjoyed spending more free time at home. Over the course of the year, I’ve enjoyed trips to visit family in Utah and Indiana. This fall, I started my senior year and have been working on college and scholarship applications. I also spend a lot of time working on my big writing projects. The year has been busy, but I’ve enjoyed the things I’ve been able to do.

Love,
Becky, Neal, Ruth, Andrew, Spencer, and Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment