Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Caleb's Birthday

I wanted to take time to write today to tell about Caleb’s birthday. We had lots of fun with doing a friend party last Wednesday afternoon. We had 7 friends join us. The boys were full of energy and enjoyed being together. Caleb was so happy to have them with him. He loved getting some fun, and some silly, gifts from his friends. We did a talent show as part of the party. It was Caleb’s idea for his friends to share something with each other. The boys came prepared to share  piano songs, jokes and magic tricks. It was a fun activity. We played outside, I was thankful it was a nice day, they boys enjoyed playing tag and playing with balls. I did an art activity with the boys. I had a wood letter for each boys first name. I let them paint their letters. They loved it. I think kids tend to enjoy being creative. I thought the party was a success. 






Saturday was Caleb’s birthday. He was so ecstatic about it. Neal took him to a donut shop to pick out donuts for breakfast. He loved that. In the afternoon we attended his friend’s birthday party at a place called “Main Event.” It was a huge family activity center. I stayed with Caleb, I don’t like leaving my kids at big public places like that. I enjoyed watching Caleb do bowling, a rope course and laser tag. He decided after the rope course that he was afraid of heights. He also got to play a few arcade games and eat pizza. It was a busy place. He had many friends there to play with too. It was a fun party. So even though it was his friends birthday party it was a fun activity for Caleb to do on his birthday! That evening we made pizza, well, really I made the pizza while the boys were playing outside. They are enjoying the warmer weather and are enjoying playing in the garden area. It is like a big dirt pile for them to play in before we plant things. Caleb was excited about opening some gifts. Neal and I had a set of scriptures for him, with his name imprinted on them. He was so excited about them. On Sunday he was sitting looking at the Bible and said to me “I am exploring my new Bible.” I think it was his favorite gift. He has had fun playing with his new toys too. I gave him some building blocks I had found at Goodwill. The boys love building with blocks. This morning Spencer built a fun structure and took pictures of it. Over all it was a happy week with Caleb. He kept saying over the week end “I can’t believe I am finally eight!” Sunday morning he had a visit with the Bishop and is ready for his baptism this Saturday.


Caleb's teacher did this paper at school Friday. 
She had each kid in the class say something about Caleb.
I thought it was a neat thing so I took a picture of it.




Other things that have happened this last week.  Ruth enjoyed going to a Stake dance in Santa Fe with a group of friends on the 10th. She enjoyed the dance and the drive.  I am glad that she has a group of friends who she enjoys being with. Last Saturday she spent some time with Brianna, her best friend. She has been enjoying doing her job. She is keeping busy and some days feels a bit overwhelmed with getting all her projects for school done. But she is doing great keeping up with things and still finding time to write her stories and read her books.

Last Thursday I went with Andrew’s band to a band festival for the district. We went to La Cueva High School for the band to play before judges. It was busy getting the kids to follow directions and keep them moving from place to place, for warm up time, performance, and sight reading evaluations. Then they had a group picture taken and we had a pizza lunch. I am glad that I could help and I enjoyed being around Andrew and his friends. I didn’t ride the bus with the kids but drove with a load full of instruments. It was a fun day. In the evening we had our church activities. The Young Women had their YW in Excellence night. Ruth earned two ribbons and has five all together now. I found out that they would give mothers ribbons for doing things with the girls. I have worked on the personal progress program since Ruth turned 12 and hadn’t said much to the leaders before. Last fall at New Beginnings the YW leaders encouraged mothers to work on the program. So I did more and I earned three ribbons last week. I am almost done with another. It is good for me to work on it and some of things Ruth and I have done together.

Andrew has been attending a Stake merit badge work shop. He is doing his First Aid merit badge this month. He has also worked hard with Neal this month to finish the picnic table refinishing project. It is almost done and should be finished this week. That will finish what he needed for his Family Life merit badge. I am glad that he is working on things and getting some merit badges finished. He enjoys being with his friends. At lunch time they like to eat out side and then go play basket ball on the out door courts at the school. He is a good student and is keeping up with good grades.

Spencer brought home a paper yesterday from the art teacher saying she had picked his work to display at the district art show coming soon. I needed to sign a parent consent form for his art to be displayed. He was pretty excited that his had been chosen. Andrew also had his work displayed when he was in 5th grade. Spencer also showed me his latest creations yesterday. He had found a one inch nail and was working it through pencils. He thought it was neat to have a pencil with a hole through it. Neal said that maybe school wasn’t hard enough for him if he has time to do that. Spencer really likes to create and build things.


Spencer's block work




Tomorrow we have Pack Meeting with cub scouts. Caleb is very excited to now join cub scouts and wear a blue shirt tomorrow. I will be his den leader. I am also his primary teacher on Sunday, I guess I need to spend time with him. Spencer is close to finishing his Webelos and Arrow of Light ranks. He should have them both done by the May pack meeting. This last month his leaders did the Nova Science award with him. He enjoyed that. We are also excited for Grandma Hancock and Rachel to come tomorrow and Grandparent Hubbard’s to come on Friday. It will be a great week end with the baptism and visits with family.


Our apricot tree is in bloom




No comments:

Post a Comment