Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Our Summer Fun

I am going to try and not let it go three weeks again between writing.  Our week has gone much better than last week.  We got the electrical issue resolved, mostly.  We had an electrician come out and he told us it wasn’t our house but the wiring coming into our house from PNM (the power company.)  We called PNM and someone came out Wednesday evening to take care of it. The problem was that there are two 120 V lines coming into the house.  One was working fine.  The second one was only giving about 90 V.  Since only one line was working, only the circuits connected to that line worked in the house.  And since both lines weren’t up to correct voltage we weren’t getting the 240 V needed to run the larger appliances, like the AC and stove.  The PNM man was able to connect our house to temporary wires.  Soon someone will come and bury the lines.  Right now we basically have a very large extension cord running from our house to the box that connects us to the power company.  I am just thankful that things are working.  I wasn’t kidding that we had issues the hottest week of the year.  Last week was awful.  We were close to  100 degrees every day and at night it was only dropping to about 80.  Over the week end we had a change in the weather system.  Now we are into the summer time storms.  Late afternoon clouds gather, wind blows and the temperatures drop, and sometimes we get some rain.

Last Tuesday I did my BCA class of a book club.  I enjoyed having the kids over.  We had a nice discussion on the book “Rascal” by Stirling North.  Then we watched the movie that is based on the book.  We will do another book in July.

On Wednesday I went out to eat lunch with my visiting teacher.  I enjoyed visiting with her.  We went to a small cafe type place that wasn’t busy, so it was quiet while we visited.  I enjoyed the food too.  It was a good break in my stressful week.

Thursday we had our activities at the church.  Ruth actually went to a leaders home for a swim party, Andrew had scouts and I had Activity Days.  We enjoy being with the ward members.

Friday was a hot day.  I told the kids I would take them swimming.  We went to the store first to go shoe shopping.  Andrew needed every day shoes, Spencer wanted some sandals and Ruth needed church shoes.  After the store we drove by the swimming pool.  We wanted to see how busy it was.  We saw a sign that said they were at capacity and no one was being let in.  We were disappointed.  Instead the boys played in the water in the back yard.  We filled up our little pond area and they have enjoyed playing in the water the last couple of days.  They like to take our little reptile toys and play stories.  They also like to make little houses with sticks, bricks and rocks.  I am glad that they can find things to play with in our yard.  Caleb and Spencer are out there now.

Friday evening we watched the movie “Moana.”  I enjoyed it.  I enjoyed the music and the story of determination in completing a goal.  It was a fun show.

Saturday Andrew went on a BCA class hike.  They went to Tent Rocks.  He had fun hiking around and being with the other boys in the group.  I didn’t mention in my last letter that he also went to Tent Rocks with the boy scouts earlier in the month. I understand it is a cool place and I should go there sometime.  

Andrew also fixed us his Mediterranean dinner Saturday evening.  It turned out pretty good.  It was a bit dry with the lentils.  We had a lot of it and had another meal of it yesterday.  For the second go of it I made a garlic cheese sauce to go over the lentils and vegetables and we all liked it that way.  Saturday we also gave the boys a much needed hair cut!

Sunday in Primary the kids were so active.  It is so hard to keep all of them paying attention.  I felt like we were playing musical chairs during singing time.  The kids kept getting up and moving around and going from one teacher to another.  One little girl is always begging to go get a drink, even after five minutes of being there.  I think she is just looking for a reason to leave.  One boy kept asking “how much longer?”  Then when we got to class he continued to ask when his mom would come get him.  Then some of the kids brought toys or candy in their pockets and bags and kept getting them out.  It is all so distracting.  I am learning their personalities and also learning what will work with them.  I understand why they felt they needed a second teacher for this class.  All the kids are just squirmy and disruptive at some time or another. 

Yesterday the boys and I went to a neighbors home and picked peaches.  We got some from them last year too, so I knew it would be worth the effort.  We picked enough for me to bottle 17 quarts yesterday.  They took a lot of work too.  They are cling peaches, hard to peel, needing to be cut off the pit and many were ripe and the texture was soft.  I bottled them because they tasted so good last year on our hot cereal.  They are very juicy and I don’t add much water to it at all and so it really is like a peach sauce after it is all cooked up.



Today has been busy too.  This morning I went to the temple.  I am thankful I can go often.  I went last week with our ward temple night.  I am glad that the kids are old enough that I can leave them for a couple of hours to go.  I felt the spirit so strong today there.  It helps me have peace of mind as I deal with all the stresses of life.  I also enjoy going for walks every morning before breakfast.  I get up early and leave while the kids are still sleeping.  It is cool and just nice to have some quiet time and exercise.  Andrew usually gets up early too and goes for a bike ride in the open space.  He is very diligent in doing his exercise.

This afternoon I took Andrew and Spencer to a class/activity at the library.  It was one were we had to register for beforehand.  The boys were on a waiting list and we didn’t think they would get in, but we went and I am glad we did because they got into the class.  They did a 3D Pen activity.  Basically it was like a hot glue gun with colored plastic that they could make little 3D objects with.  They enjoyed it.  While they were in class I went to wash the car.  It had some kind of sticky stuff all over it and I wanted it cleaned up.  Then I decided to run into the grocery store for some bread and milk.  I ran the milk home and then as I was driving back to the library to pick up the boys, it started to rain!  Remember I just mentioned I washed the car!  I was a bit distressed.  But it all worked out.  When we got home I dried the car off and it still looks clean.  Then the rain went away, it was that afternoon cloudiness that I mentioned earlier. Then when we got home the boys went outside to play in the water.  

Spencer keeps asking to go to the Natural Science museum.  I decided to take time to write today so I could take him there for a bit tomorrow morning.  He wants to see their new temporary exhibit.  It should be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment