Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Wet Week


Our summer is passing by quickly.  This week end we have had a rain storm, it has been here since Sunday, raining on and off for four days now.  We needed the water so much!  It is great to see our yard looking a little greener and no cracks in the dirt from where it had shrunk.  The kids are enjoying the light rain too, right now they are outside playing in it.  They have fun with the ditch in the side yard.  The other day they built a small dam and had fun splashing in the water.  The best part is that I can have a little quiet time while they are outside.

This summer has been difficult for me.  I am with all four kids all day long and sometimes that is a little bit too long.  They are loud and rambunctious. One hard thing has been doing errands and going grocery shopping.  With Neal working so much (even on Saturday) I have to take the kids with me where ever I go.  They are getting a bit better in stores, or at least I am getting better at corralling them through the store.  Last week we were able to get all their school supplies purchased.  I will do clothing shopping in August.  That way if they happen to have a growth spurt this month their new school clothes will still fit.

I get lots of messes too.  One day Spencer knocked over a water picture and spilled a 1/2 gallon of water.  At least it was just water, so it was easy to clean up.  Caleb scribbled on the wall today with a brown colored pencil.  He has been getting into more mischief lately, I think to get my attention.  He misses his one on one time with me.  Thankfully the pencil came right off with Magic eraser. Then there was the jar of peanuts that got dumped on the floor, the mud tracked into the house, the bathroom sink puddles, and toys everywhere.  I wonder how I can keep sane.

Friday I took the kids to the museum and met a friend there.  We enjoyed playing together.  I bought a box of peaches and was able to bottle up 7 quarts and we are enjoying eating the rest fresh.  Neal has been working hard on fixing up the sprinkling system.  One value box had a leak and we had a puddle in the front yard.  He got things fixed but with the rain it has slowed down his work to getting things tested and up and running.  But then again because of the rain we don’t need to water the yard this week with the sprinklers. 

Last night I had a Relief Society meeting and Neal was home with the kids.  He taught them about the Morris code and printed out copies of the code for the kids to learn.  Today they have been working at building their telegraph office and message system.  They have also been tapping a lot on things.  It is fun they are learning new things.


playing in the ditch in the rain



Ruth with her finished pillow she made




The kids message system they built today.



No comments:

Post a Comment