Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer Time

The last two weeks have been very busy.  I decided I needed to take time to write tonight, or it might be another week before I have time to sit here.  With all four kids at home we have been a bit crazy at times.  It has been fun to have everyone around.  We have had fun discussions, have done experiments, read books together and played in the water.  All around, it is being a fun summer. 

I have enjoyed my early morning walks.  I get up and go during the six o’clock hour in the morning.  Often the kids are still sleeping when I get back, so it is quiet and they don’t miss me.  I enjoy the time to myself and also getting the exercise in.  I know it helps me physically and mentally to get through the day.

So much happens around here, but I thought I would share a few high lights of the last couple of weeks.  Andrew put together a 1000 piece puzzle with a picture of USA history things on it.  Neal, Ruth and I helped with it some, but Andrew did the most.  It actually was easier than it sounds.  Because the picture had writing on it and was easy to orient the pieces, you knew what direction the piece would go, it made it easier to place it.

Ruth was assigned to give a talk in Primary.  I reminded her about it and then I kinda forgot about it.  Sunday morning I asked if she had it ready, she said she did.  I was conducting Relief Society so I wasn’t able to go hear her.  Neal got busy with doing things in the clerk office so we both missed hearing Ruth give her talk.  After church she read it to me.  I thought it was pretty good that my 10 year old could write and give a talk without input from her parents.  She did say that there were only 4 kids in senior primary that day, so it wasn’t a big deal.  With families moving from our ward and others on vacation our primary has been very small this month.

Spencer is learning how to read.  He is doing so well.  He likes to get out books and sound out the words.  He likes to play doggies with Caleb.  They pretend they are doggies and crawl all over the house saying “woof, woof.”  Sometimes I think that Caleb believes he is a dog.  He will just bark at me when I ask him something.  He even pants and rubs his head against me when I hold him.  Caleb also likes to say “I am really goofy” when he does something silly.   He also likes to count backwards from 5, then pounce on something or blow something up.  He is very active and likes to do things by himself, which means we also get lots of messes to deal with.  Spencer likes to snuggle with me and will climb onto my lap and curl up.  He still needs lots of affection and attention. 

I bought the kids spray bottles.  They had some friends who had them to play with and they had been wanting them.  They put water in them and go outside, spraying each other and other things in the yard.  They have really liked playing with them.  And, they have left the hose alone.  They aren’t making mud puddles either.  It is nice to get them interested in other water play that doesn’t have anything to do with mud.

We went to the children museum.  It was fun to play with friends and see their summer special exhibit “Goosebumps” talking about why we are afraid.  We have enjoyed going to the library special activities.  We saw a fun magic show and a “mad scientist” show with some cool experiments.  The kids have also been filling out reading logs to earn free treats.  We have gotten free donuts and ice cream so far.  They earn a coupon from a fast food place for every log they fill out, over 8 need to read 5 books and under 8 read 10 books.  Ruth has been reading about one chapter book a day and Andrew just goes through the books on our shelf looking for ones he can read by himself, his reading has improved so much.  He even reads silently now.

Last week I took the kids down to visit with my brother Doug who is living in the Houston area.  We haven’t been to their house since they moved from the Dallas area.  It was an adventure to drive there and back.  The kids did great with the long ride, it took a little over 3 hours.  It wasn’t too bad because most of it was through farming country.  It was a pretty ride.  On the way home we stopped in College Station at a park and played and watched the ducks and geese in the pond.

It was fun to visit with Doug and his family.  I enjoyed the visiting time.  The kids enjoyed playing in their pool!  Doug and I also went to the Houston Temple friday evening.  We enjoyed listening to a choir concert with a group Jenna is in.  It was a nice trip, but we missed Neal being with us.  Saturday evening we went out to dinner as a family, with Neal, to have some fun family time too.

Monday our friends invited us over to play in their pool.  The kids loved having more pool time.  I think I had enough pool time to last all summer.  I am just not a one who enjoys being in the water.  I am glad that the kids had fun with it and could gain confidence with swimming.

I am thankful for my family and that I can spend time with my sweet kids.


Caleb loves playing at the piano, Andrew is getting better with his music.  A short video showing their talents. 



We put this together in two days.


Playing in the heat of Houston







Pool time at Doug's house












Andrew loved jumping into the pool.


The Houston Temple


At at park in College Station 








2 comments: